Coldest
April 25, 2024, 09:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: I've changed anti-bot strategies, so hopefully the rash of bot registrations will stop. Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Licenses... and Multiplayer  (Read 4486 times)
qubodup

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »

Hello there,

I noticed that while your code is GPLed, that the textures are from cgtextures, sounds are "from the web" and that the music is of the royalty free pay-to-use-track category.

I don't know if you're familiar with Debian's licensing standards and whether you care about inclusion of coldest in Linux repositories, but I certainly would find it cool if ti was there make it spread faster.

This would require all content to have compatible licenses. I think that textures and sounds would be no problem thank to http://opengameart.org/ and that there might be some music you would like in your game that is <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/">by-sa</a> licensed. And since you made the mech, you can control its license. Smiley

Would you be interested in having compatible media? I would gladly look for some replacement textures and suggest some music tracks in that case.

Also, I have played matches with two more players (individually though, no 2v1). We 'found' each other on #freegamer, so if you hang out there, maybe a 2vs2 could be finally arranged! Smiley

PS: whoops, didn't notice the different subforums. This might be better suited in the "general" forum.
Cybertron
Coldest Developer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »

So I know I should have gotten back to you on this a long time ago, but I haven't had time to work on it lately so I haven't really been able to do anything about this.  In looking into the licensing issue, I discovered that I'm not actually allowed to use the cgtextures textures in an open source project (even though my understanding was that related artwork is generally not covered by the GPL unless explicitly stated otherwise) so I'm going to have to replace all of those anyway.  Not really looking forward to that. Angry

I'm not terribly invested in the sounds (except the music, which I did have to pay for ;-)), so I'd be happy to replace those.  I'm thinking about trying to create some sounds from scratch with sfxr since I'm not really happy with most of the sound effects right now anyway.

It would be nice to be Debian-compatible, although I think I could still at least get into the non-free repos even if I didn't have all free artwork.  Definitely something to think about as I redo all of the texturing.

I'll drop by freegamer when I have more time to work on this and hopefully we can get a match going.  Apparently this got picked up by a couple of major sites recently so there might be enough interest to really do some playtesting (finally!).

And this is the right forum for any game-related discussion.  The General forum is more for off-topic stuff, so I don't expect it to get much use.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: