Coldest
April 16, 2024, 09:06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: I've changed anti-bot strategies, so hopefully the rash of bot registrations will stop. Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyboard/Joystick controls  (Read 5643 times)
kwadroke

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »

I've recently discovered Coldest and I am excited for the future of this game.

Are there any plans to allow users to use only a keyboard or joystick?
I'm considering building a controller for mech games. I have both a keyboard encoder and a joystick controller. I'd rather not have to use a mouse along side the controller in order to join games.

Thanks!
Cybertron
Coldest Developer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »

Yeah, I figured that would probably come up at some point.  I don't have any specific plans to add joystick support, but it's something I'm open to.  Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a not-insignificant amount of work to make the game usable with a joystick instead of a mouse.  Right now the UI doesn't support keyboard navigation at all, and I'm unsure how well the game itself would play with a joystick.  Plus I don't have one so I don't currently have a way to test anything. Smiley

I'll keep it in mind though and see if I can make it happen at some point.
kwadroke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »

If there's more in game keyboard support, joystick support isn't a big deal. I can use a joystick-to-keyboard program suck as joy-to-key or qjoypad to map movement to keypresses.
kwadroke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

I've started working on adding keyboard support for the mouse movements. I'm not really a C/C++ & SDL dev so it's taking me a little time to figure stuff out. I've got the view switching working and the beginnings of rotating and looking up & down.
Cybertron
Coldest Developer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »

Sounds good.  Let me know what you come up with.

If you're going to work on this, it might be worth considering just adding direct joystick support.  I assume it works similarly to the other SDL input stuff, so it might be easier than using the keyboard  as an intermediary.  Just a thought.
kwadroke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »

I've got initial joystick support in the latest git version. I don't have my joystick here, so I still need to test it. I'll add back in my keyboard controls into it sometime this week. The files are on 2 separate PCs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: